Using CAD Software to make an STL File

9:01:00 PM

This week, my homework assignment was to make a 3d File using CAD Software and print it. I tried using the 123d Design App for iPad, which is a free software that can be downloaded in the iTunes store. Honestly, I had a really challenging time both figuring out the software and getting my file to print. I decided to try to make crocheting needles because I want to learn how to crochet and it seemed like a fairly straightforward design.

The 3D Printer in Progress
Once I managed to get the file in STL format onto the computer in the Makerspace, I ran into a problem with the needle not sticking to the platform. This meant that it moved around during the printing some and didn't make a great result. For context, this print took 9 minutes.

Failed Attempt #1

I tried again with a raft to see if that would help at all- and it certainly did. The needle came off the raft really easily (while maintaining its round shape) and worked out quite well. It was clean and I think it can work. The only potential problem is that our needle will be too small, but that is an issue of design not of the printer. I decided to go ahead to print another of the needle with a raft so that I could try them out. 

More successful attempt #2

 I had a few takeaways from this process...
1. As with any other project, set aside MUCH more time than you think you need to get it done. 
2. Being well prepared with software and files before coming to do the cuts or prints is a good idea - it saves lots of time. 
3. On smaller items like crocheting needles, it is important to have a raft to make sure that it sticks to the platform. 


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. These is informative content. Want to show you another useful article 3d product modeling company

    ReplyDelete