Laser Cutting Wood

8:55:00 PM

We learned how to use a Full Spectrum Laser to cut and engrave wood this week, and our homework was to try something out. I spent some time in the Makerspace this evening attempting to print some crocheting needles, so I had a go on the machine. I was very pleased with both of my trials and am very excited to use the machine more in the future. My husband Jack came along and practiced his knitting (which he learned yesterday), which made it a much less frustrating evening :).


The Laser in Process
My first try was with a butterfly print that I hoped could be used for decoration or as a wooden stamp. The result was not deep enough to stamp anything, but I was interested to see how much detail it picked up. I think with some edits to the image prior to cutting, I could make it deeper and more defined.

Practice with a Raster Image, engraving rather then cutting all the way through.
 Next, I tried a vector image of a jelly fish that I found on Google. I was really impressed with the precision of the cut with the tentacles. I still need to do some cleaning of the smallest areas, but in the photo below I had already taken out the biggest pieces. Overall, I found the process quick and rewarding! The machine can do plastic, wood, rubber, and some other materials (just no metal). My head has been full of ideas of things I could do- I think I may order some laser-able rubber and attempt some rubber stamps sometime this semester.
A vector image cut of a jelly fish - still in need of some cleaning. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments