Intermediate Project: Welded Bike Trailer

4:51:00 PM

For some time, I've been wanting to make a trailer for my bike to be able to carry groceries and other things in to and from my house. Since I work in the welding shop, I thought this would be a perfect intermediate project for me to (as Dr. Grout says) "practice finishing a project" before the final project. While I was researching designs, I found a really great example on instructables of what I am hoping to accomplish (http://www.instructables.com/id/Welded-bike-trailer/). I do plan to make some alterations to this design. For example, I want to trailer to be easily removed from the bike since I use my bike on a regular basis for purposes other than grocery shopping and I don't want to have to spend a lot of time putting it on and off each time. To solve this problem, I plan to attach the trailer to the bar beneath the seat. This will also cause the trailer to affect the alignment of the wheels less.

Example on Instructables
Rather than purchasing all new supplies, I wanted to try and reuse materials that would have otherwise been thrown in the trash. So I looked for materials in the dumpster over a few weeks and found the metal springs of a bunk bed that I think will work really well. See the image below, where I pointed to the portion of the bunk bed that I used for this project. I used an angle grinder to cut the frame into pieces that I could use more easily and took out the middle springs portion. 
2/16/15: At this point, I was left with 6 pieces of metal cut to length that I can use for the frame of the trailer. I switched to one of the sander disks and removed the plastic paint coating on the metal on the areas that I will be welding to make sure that I can get a sufficient bond.

2/20/15: Next, I welded the pieces together! I cut a drop out in the frame where each wheel will connect so that I could get the wheels in and adjust them. My use of recycled materials made the welding a bit more challenging since the edges were not always flush against each other, but I am confident that I was able to get a strong enough weld despite the imperfection.

 
The completed welded frame with me holding the wheel up
where it will eventually go to make sure it will fit. 


One of the corners welded.


The next step was to lightly sand and paint the frame and adjust the wheels so they would fit in initially (I need to adjust the axels of the wheels more to one side so that it fits better). I also need to bend the piece of steel that will serve as the connection between the trailer and the bike. This will be at an arc curve so that it won't interfere with the wheel. 

2/25/15: With Bruce's help, I was able to heat up the steel tubing and bend it to the curve that I need. We did this by laying it on our metal work table and drawing out the points that it needed to hit (the two connecting points, and high enough to avoid the wheel). We then heated up the pipe using a blow torch and bent it to the shape I needed. Once this was complete, I welded it to the frame. 

I was also able to get the painting done, so the next step is connecting the wheels and finishing the joint between the arced piece of steel and the bike. 


3/4/15: The bike trailer is now functional! I had my presentation of the project today in class. A few updates on what I have done since the last post. First, I attached the wheels. Next, I welded on the metal conduit to attach the trailer to the bike and finished the hitch system that allows the trailer to turn easily while being easily attached and removed from any bike. The last big step was completing the wooden interior that allows things to be carried in the trailer without interfering with the wheels. It is very strong! I tried it out today carrying my husband, Jack, in the back and it didn't seem to have any issues at all. I am very pleased with the outcome. I would still like to paint it to make the steel and wood last longer (and look better)! See photos and a video of the final result below.

The completed trailer

                              

Video of the trailer in action:


Thanks for reading! To conclude, watch this fun time lapse series (yes, Jack is in the trailer...)








You Might Also Like

0 comments